Thursday, June 14, 2007

oh give me a home...

Today we went to the Creamery Brook Bison Farm in Brooklyn CT. They raise bison for meat, and cows for milk, and have emus, peahens and a rooster as well. The kids made ice cream, we had a picnic, had a hay wagon ride out to the bison fields, and then back again to make butter on the lawn under a tree.

Only the females and babies are out in the field we went to, and here's a nursing pair.


This baby (most of them were born in April) just enjoyed a dust bath and is now resting while the adults go crazy over the grain we brought with us. The owner dumped it right next to the wagon so the bison are about 3 feet away from us.

This is just a general shot of the view out the side of the wagon. The bison in the bottom left of the pic is eating the grain next to the wagon.


I know I would eat a lot less ice cream if I had to do this every time I wanted some...


We saw tons of birds, including a very low-flying red-tailed hawk and turkey vulture. A large group of pigeons and another group of barn swallows were very busy in the loganberry tree right next to our picnic tables. I didn't realize that barn swallows were so colorful. I don't think I've ever seen one close up before.

No comments: